Saturday 7 April 2012

Review Two: Clickers


            This article by the New York Times titled Speak Up? Raise YourHand? That May No Longer Be Necessary” discusses the use of clickers in many locations including elementary school classrooms. I found I could relate to this article since here at university I have used clickers in my classes before. I believe if clickers actually started being used in more classrooms there would be a debate on if they were actually necessary or just the “next” gadget that most schools would not be able to afford. There are two sides to the debate: some individuals believe these “devices can give voice to people too shy to speak up” on the other hand “in a society in which checking the crowds opinion becomes the norm…taking risks or relying on one’s instincts may be devalued”. Obviously the clickers work in business when they hold meetings or in churches to check if the congregation is paying attention to what their learning.

            Personally my experience with clickers was excellent they were a quick way to get marks back from a quiz in a large class but I can understand why people would be worried or why people would encourage this type of critical pedagogy approach to education. An interesting remark by Eric Johnson stated “those who talk in class aren’t necessarily those who have the most to say…But with a clicker, everyone in the room has input and they can express their opinion anonymously”. I think it would be interesting to use this in classes to find the general answers but this will not make those too shy to speak do anything differently; once discussion starts up they still may not say anything.

            I believe that right now universities and other institutions should keep clickers but I do not believe it would be money well spent if it were used in elementary or junior high classrooms. Those years are when students learn the fundamental basics on education and I do not think much technology needs to be used in teaching. Besides, most schools would not even be able to support clickers financially. Clickers are fun and interactive but after a point I believe it would become quite repetitive to learn from. I do not believe there is any “benefit” to using the clickers beside it being the latest technology and I am not sure that it will really catch on in most areas. I think raising our hands in class is a great way to also interact with teachers so it makes me wonder would there be some type of effect in that regard
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/31/us/clickers-offer-instant-interactions-in-more-venues.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=education

No comments:

Post a Comment